Core Credit & Placement
Placement in Mathematics Courses
The TCU Core Curriculum requires every student to satisfy a Mathematical Reasoning requirement. The requirement may be met by any of the following courses:
- MATH 10033 (Topics in Mathematics)
- MATH 10043 (Elementary Statistics)
- MATH 10283 (Applied Calculus)
- MATH 10524 (Calculus I)
- MATH 20524 (Calculus II)
Your specific degree program may require additional mathematics courses beyond the ones listed above.
Credit by Examination
Credit for the Mathematical Reasoning portion of TCU Core Curriculum can be satisfied by an appropriate AP (Advanced Placement) Exam:
- MATH 10043 (Elementary Statistics): Score of 3 or higher on AP Statistics Exam
- MATH 10283 (Applied Calculus): Score of 3 AP Calculus AB Exam
- MATH 10524 (Calculus I): Score of 4 or higher on AP Calculus AB Exam or 3 or higher on AP Calculus BC Exam
- MATH 20524 (Calculus II): Score of 5 on AP Calculus BC exam; in this case, the student receives credit for both MATH 10524 and MATH 20524
For more information about credit by examination consult the TCU Admissions Office.
Preparation for MATH 10033, 10043, 10054, 10273
ALEKS is a Web-based learning system that will help prepare you for TCU’s introductory-level math classes. Click here for details.
Placement in MATH 10283 and MATH 10524
MATH 10283 (Applied Calculus): To enroll in MATH 10283, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- A grade of C- or better in MATH 10054 or MATH 10273
- High school Precalculus and a score of 600 or higher on the SAT math exam (ACT math score of 24 of higher is also accepted)
To verify the prerequisites for MATH 10283, each student must provide a copy of his or her high school transcript and SAT (or ACT) scores.
MATH 10524 (Calculus I): To enroll in MATH 10524, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- A grade of C- or better in MATH 10054
- Score of 3 or higher on either the AP Calculus AB or BC Calculus BC exam
- Score of 560 or higher on the SAT Subject Test (SAT II), Mathematics Level 1 (IC)
- Score of 520 or higher on the SAT Subject Test (SAT II), Mathematics Level 2 (IIC)
- A passing score on the Calculus Placement Exam
Copies of satisfactory AP or SAT Subject Test scores must be provided or be on file with the TCU Registrar in order to use these as prerequisites to register for MATH 10524. A student awaiting scores may choose to take the Calculus Placement Exam.
For more information, contact
Dr. Rhonda Hatcher
Department of Mathematics
TCU Box 298900
Fort Worth, TX 76129